October 18, 2012

Oh yeah... guess what... we're married now!

And we've been married nearly three months. Oh boy how time flies when we're together. Before we get onto doing all the married life posts, I'm going to reminisce a bit and write about our wedding day. 

Friday, July 6th 2012: 

The day was simply beautiful. It had rained the day previous, freshening everything up and cooling down the hot summer temperatures rather significantly. I slept, short yet restfully until about 7:00am and got as ready as I could before Amy came to do my hair and Rachel came to be my support. I wore a white suit with a mini-fishnet veil, gold faux-lace earrings and a mint green/turquoise blouse. Amy formed my hair into an elegant up-do filled with pretty pin-curls. Just as I was finishing up Philip came to pick me up and the rest of my family scurried over to the church to set up and get things ready. (We couldn't set up the night before due to a ward playing volleyball in the cultural hall of our building the night before. (Always a few wedding hiccups, of course!)) Philip wore a navy blue suit that he got at H&M for less than a 100 bucks (Yoo-hoo!) and a mint green tie with a hint of texture in it. Arriving at my house with post-shower hair he wet it and sculpted it seconds before we were to leave, tied his tie while I gathered my dress and temple clothes and last few making us fashionably 15 minutes late for our own breakfast at 9:30am. It's ok to be late to your own event right? ;) 

We had incredible crepes with a variety of sweet and savory fillings made by Rachel's brother Bert and most of her family (they're like second family to me.) They were literally what made the wedding a success! It wasn't until we were on our way to the temple that we realized we had crepes at the Crepe Shoppe on our first date. (Oooh cuuute!!) We had a great support of family and close friends there. Many of my cousins were in town for our Scadlock family reunion the next day, which is the main factor of when we set the date. We mingled and enjoyed getting to know both sides of the family and putting faces to the names we both shared with each other. Our siblings gave toasts in form of gifts that symbolized something they remembered about us. 

Philip's oldest brother Fred started and told the story of when they would go to the store as a family and Philip would always beg his mom for a toy. "I want a toy mom, can I get a toy?!" Saying it over and over with his cute little lisp. His brother got him a toy Barbie to commemerate that. His sister Adrianne gave him a cupcake frosted with a googly eyed cookie monster with bright blue frosting. Symbolic of the time him, Adj, and Lauren made a cookie monster cake and ate it and it turned their tongues bright blue. Eric, Philip's other brother Eric mentioned the memories he had spending a lot of outdoors time with Phil and the trips they'd been on as a family. 

My sister Amy got up first and talked about how when she was at Rick's Collage I would send her drawings and letters. She got me a sketch book in honor of my love for the arts. Evan spoke of how he used to be the mediator for when Kendall would torment and tease me. Taylor brought up the memory of me claiming that I could swim and then ended up drowning when we were at the Disneyland hotel. My dad had to jump in after me fully clothed. Kendall and Jamie gave Phil 3 boxes of Kleenex. The memory was of when I was a kid and even continuing now into adulthood, I do, and used to scream bloody-murder whenever there was a spider in my room. My dad or brothers would have to come running with TP or Kleenex in hand to save me. In essence Kendall was passing the torch onto Phil who'd now have to be my spider savior. Our parents both said a few things and then we cleaned up and got ready to drive down to the temple.

Philip and I rode down to the temple together and I read aloud some articles on marriage that my daddy-o gave us to read. We arrived 15 minutes before our designated time of arrival (1:30) and sat in the parking lot for a few minutes just staring up at the beautiful temple. I took a deep sigh and asked; "you ready?" Phil responded with a quick; "Oh yeah!" We walked up hand in hand, excitement flurries in our stomaches, and peace in our hearts. What a whirl wind the weeks of planning had been and now they were all set to play out, ready or not. 

We went into the temple and they put numbers on all of our things. We were the 9th couple to be married that day. I've still got a number 9 tag or two on a couple of bags. They took our things to the changing rooms and led us into the offices where we signed the forms and stated who our witnesses would be. We were then separated and lead into the rooms where we would change into our white clothes then lead up to the sealing room where we would be sealed together for all eternity. The Sealer President Pinnegar spoke to us and instructed us on when we would need to say "yes" and so on. Afterwords we sat there hands clasped together gazing adoringly into each-others eyes (cheese-ball, I know) and waited for our families and friends to join us. They soon entered the room everyone dressed in white, it was the most glorious sight to see our families and friends dressed in pure white gathered in the temple. It was such a beautiful experience. The sealer began and spoke about the Atonement of Christ and the things we need to do as a couple to draw closer to Him and how to stay strong in our own family unit that we were now starting. The ceremony was beautiful and filled my heart with such peace and joy. I knew I was marrying a righteous man who loved me and loved the Lord. After it was all said and done we stood and were able to be congratulated by those in attendance and were able to spend time all together in the Celestial room. We both couldn't stop smiling. We both exclaimed "Woah! We're married now! Crazy!" 

After the moments of basking in the moment we descended back down to our changing rooms and I changed into my wedding dress and him into his suit and a gold tie. I made my own wedding dress and finished it about a day before the wedding with one thing that needed tacking (and still to this day I haven't tacked it in place with anything other than a safety pin. :) ) Once changed Phil and I met in the hallway and got ready to make our traditional exit-from-the-temple photo. We came out and everyone cheered, ooo ahhh, and we went and took a bunch of pictures. Etc. Etc. All the usual wedding stuff. Josh and Jillian our good friends and who I served with in my singles ward relief society presidency with, brought us some delicious food and water. They had gotten married two weeks before we were and knew exactly what we needed. They're the best! 

While we were taking pictures Phil looked down at his watch and saw that it was already 6:10 and our reception was to start at 7:30 with an hour and a half drive before us. We got in the car and began me still in my dress, us both in a panic, looked down at the clock and noticed it was only 5:20. His clock was set ahead by about 40 minutes and nearly gave us both a heart attack. So we ended up driving back in our wedding attire, stuffing our faces with the burgers and fries that Josh and Jillian got us, and my dress getting tighter and tighter in the ribs the more food I ate. 

Traffic was stuffy, of course, when we hit Springville going northbound and time was running quickly. With word that no-one knew exactly where to put the tables up at the reception, things got a little frantic and neither of us had any control. Yay, for a little wedding-day drama!! We arrived 10 minutes before the reception was designated to start, the sprinklers at the house where we held the reception were still on, with a few tables set up. My good friend Karen and her husband Jeff were there setting up their Photo Booth and guests were starting to arrive. Phil went inside and tried to get the music started while I entertained guests while also waiting for family to arrive. Soon everything got settled and Phil and I started to greet people and food was served. 

My idea for the reception was a sort-of "Anne of Green Gables" / "Somewhere in Time" garden party theme. We had croquet and beanbag toss in the front yard of the neighboring cottage and entrance way to the reception, the name game and a couple of chess boards were set out at the tables for people to enjoy, and a few of our engagement pictures in antiqued frames were set in the garden that rimmed the backyard. The weather was superb, just enough warm and just enough cool. The flowers were beautiful, done by Philip's Aunt Leslie, bringing in a variety of bright summer colors set in glasses with slices of lemon and grapefruit lining the outside. Amy (Rachel's sister) made our divine coconut cake and most of the desserts. The cake was white with ruffled fondant and Leslie's gorgeous garden roses and carnations of pink, cream, and yellow on top, sitting upon the mint green cake stand that I found at an antique shop. Amy even made the cake itself mint green, it was perfect! In the background we had a soundtrack of french accordion music playing while our nieces and nephews pranced around in their garden dresses that my sister-in-law Valerie made, and their bow-ties and suspenders that my sister Amy made. Some of the fabric had a victorian rose pattern in creams and pinks with dashes of burgundy and green in it, others were soft mint green with a white ivy pattern in it, and others were an antique green with cream polka dots, and a cream colored eyelet fabric. They all complimented each other so well and the children looked so adorable. 

The day was perfect despite it's typical wedding-day quirks. But I'm soooooo glad it's over with! Funny thing is.. I hate weddings. I really do! I think they're too much. I would have rather eloped.. it's more romantic! But whatev's it was beautiful and I, even I enjoyed myself!

Thank you to all who came and celebrated with us either in person or in spirit. Couldn't have done it without your love and support!

No comments: