June 25, 2012

How We Met: McKenna's Version

How We Met
McKenna's Version

So the first thing we'll both be getting right is where and how we met. The time, day and location are pretty much a thing that neither of us can argue. We met at Utah Valley University Institute of Religion. During Spring Semester: January-April 2012. In Brother John Thompson's; The Writings of John the Beloved, Monday/Wednesday 1:00pm Class.



Now here's where my side of the story begins:

Philip. Hmmm... I first noticed him... pretty much day one. I was scoping out the class since the whole reason I was taking 5+++ institute classes that semester was to find my eternal companion, right? Well I can't deny it, yes, yes I was. And at the same time a big, NOPE! No way! (I'll explain later.)

I went to the class firstly because I loved Brother T's Book of Mormon class last semester but was a bit hesitant because I was already taking a few other classes and I was looking for a job at the time. I wanted my schedule to be open enough that I could work in the early afternoon to evening. Having a class at 1-2pm felt as though it could interfere with my future, not-yet-existing schedule and I somehow for some reason felt hesitant. Hmmm strange.

Back to day one: Scoping. I walked in, there were about 7 or 8 guys and 3 girls including me. Not bad... a semi-lucrative jackpot. Although me in my mindset at the time thought I'd "know him when I saw him" and pretty much called the forfeit right then and there. "Well, I guess I'm taking institute to learn." I thought as a lightly brushed aside any further thought that I would actually find a man with angels surrounding him and a heavenly chorus there to sing the Messiah's "Hallelujah" as a sign that he was, in-fact, THE ONE I'd fall in love with. Phew, glad a singed that tiny hope I had and could then focus on the class for the class' sake. So... day two, I debated weather I would actually register for the class, or... just give up. But... oh some small little nudge told me to stay in the class and that it would really benefit me and my spirituality. That little trickster him!

Alright, time for a little background story before I get to the juicy stuff.

Institute dating: Ugh.

Since last July I got on a dating high were I would date just about anything and always accept a 1st date from an interested male who was willing to formally ask me out. I wanted to really improve my social life and truly give everyone a chance. I knew, even if it didn't go anywhere I'd either learn a lot about myself and my wants, or have a few good stories to tell. Both of which I, most definitely, got, in abundance.

What better a-place to find your future E.C. than in the single-Mormon-potluck of Orem, Utah in the Young Single Adult Stake and the UVU Insitute? Oh man did I date!...And how quickly my dating enthusiasm plummeted. About 18 or 20 dates, one (almost) boyfriend, and one short-termed crush later, I hit the brick wall. The thought of going on one, more, stinkin', date, made me cringe. The thought of men was repulsive to me. I immediately became perfectly content with never-ever-ever-ever-ever getting married. Ahhhhh! Yes! That sounds delightful!

WRONG.

Insert Philip.
A man who does. A man who see's a need, has a want or sets a goal and gets it done in .0000005 milliseconds.

Meet McKenna.
A girl who's finished with guys, didn't see heavenly messengers gathered around Philip and therefore turned her head ready to fill out her mission papers.

Iy-karumba!

It took about two or three class periods for Philip to talk to me. Which was a record speed. Normally a guy would 1st: sit across the room from me, 2nd: sit across the room from me and try to make some sort of eye contact with me. 3rd: sit a row or two away from me. 4th: Sit on my same row. 5th: Sit one seat away from me. 6th: Sit next to me. 7th: Ask me what my name was. 8th: Sit by me again. 9th: Attempt to walk out of class at the same time as me. 10th: Try again the next day. 11th: Talk to me about something they did that weekend. 12th: Ask me what my favorite color is. 13th Imply that they're interested in hanging out 14th: And only 2 class periods left, ask me for my number.

So... Philip automatically got 'he's-a-real-man' points for not hesitating or timidly approaching me like I'm some un-known, terrifying female creature that could shatter if your speech became louder than a 12 inch whisper.

Week two of class there were still less than 12 students in the class so our teacher arranged the long skinny tables into one larger sized table where we would all face each other making it a bit more intimate. I walked in late to class and had the pick of the litter of which guy to sit by, so I of course sat across from one of the taller fellows in the class and right smack dab next to Phil. Playing the field right? It's what we women do best, or worse deepening on your perspective. ;) So my 1st impression of Philip wasn't what you would say "love at first sight" and I don't think it was for him either. He might correct me on that. ;) ;) (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) I would see him in class with his Marine cut hair, sitting up straight, taking diligent notes in his journal with his snazzy iPad. While I sat there slouching and disheveled taking notes in a spiral notebook with old puffy pages and my 3D design materials thrown across the table. To say the least, I assumed we were absolutely nothing a like and it wouldn't and shouldn't go anywhere if I had anything to do with it.

After class he walked with me out he even had to wait for me as I stayed after to talk to the teacher... And in hopes to avoid the boys. meaning Phil. When I saw him waiting; "oh great, what have I done?" I thought. He obviously got the wrong impression with me sitting by him and got a little panic-y " I, I wasn't really all that serious... I, I, I, just... It was just, the only seat left." So I walked nervously with him out to the parking lot. We talked about the everyday type stuff; "whatcha studying? Where ya from? Where'd ya go to high school? What are you up to now besides school?" He told me he was in the Marines but was on his way "out". Oh the sigh of relief I had... But the continued hesitation because, McKenna didn't want to get in any sort of relationship. McKenna just wanted to be alone and stay alone but date non-commitally none-the-less. What the heck? Am I a girl or what? I'm so confusing!

He told me what year he graduated and I was surprised to find that we graduated the same year. I exclaimed that I went from always being the youngest throughout school but was now one of the "older" ones at the university. I was glad to see I wasn't alone and that we had some commonality. One being his Birthday is a day before mine. He was easy to talke to and even though it was small talk it was easy for me to be my candid self around him. I guess I felt like it was safe cause now matter how cute, smart, and cool the guy was, he wasn't there to stay. It was merely a passing thing and we'd possibly become Facebook friends and that's about it.



He asked for my number within the first 3 weeks of class and having walked me to my car a couple of times. How did I ever let it become this serious? We were standing in the foyer and he was going to depart in the opposite direction and I had just viewed an email from Menchies saying they wanted me to come in for an interview. I shared with him my good news and as the conversation was ending and I turned to say goodbye and he stopped me saying "Hey!" and asked if I would like to do something sometime. As hesitant as I was to go on anymore dates I caught a glimpse of his honey colored eyes that glimmered in the 2 o'clock afternoon sun and decided... ohhhkayyyy... I'll give this bold one a chance. He was, in reality, doing everything right. He was pursuing me, being forward and bold but not too aggressive or creepy, and oh how nice it was. And how deep those dimples are... So about 3-4 days later he (a good man, who knows how to play the game) called and asked me out.




...And the rest you could say, is history.

:)

No comments: